DJI Phantom 3 – Professional and Advanced version
After the popular Phantom and Phantom 2, finally was released the latest DJI Phantom 3 quadcopter.
The new DJI Phantom 3 is available in two versions, Professional with 12MP 4K camera and Advanced with 12MP 1080P camera. On both models, the camera is installed on a 3-axis gimbal that keeps the camera super stable to allow long exposure photos.
Both versions of the new Phantom 3 have a white finish and looks very similar to DJI’s older Phantom models. The quadcopter is light enough to carry it with you everywhere, just unscrew the propellers and will fit into any dedicated backpack like the Airport Helipak from Think Tank Photo.
Over the time, the DJI manufacturer moved from third part cameras, like GoPro and other action cameras, to DJI property cameras and gimbals. Is this good or not? I don’t know but it’s definitely more expensive for the end-users.
This new Phantom quad has a completely redesigned transmitter with sensitive control sticks, dedicated buttons and up to 2km control distance.
Using a visual and ultrasonic scan, the Vision Positioning feature will help the pilots to fly indoor, near the ground and in GPS-free areas.
Just like the new Walkera X350 Premium, the new DJI Phantom 3 uses a dual GPS navigation system. In addition to GPS, the Phantom 3 also grabs data from the Russian GLOSNASS network of satellites for more accuracy and redundancy.
DJI Phantom 3 features and specs
- Dual-GPS navigation system;
- Completely new redesigned transmitter with two antennas and mobile devices holder;
- Auto-Takeoff and Auto-Landing;
- Return to home failsafe ;
- Self-Tightening propellers;
- Intelligent 4cell Li-Po battery;
- Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) with 6-axis gyroscope and accelerometer;
- DJI Pilot App for Android and iOS devices;
- 3-axis gimbal for stable aerial videos;
- 12MP 4K with 30fps or 12MP HD 1080P with up to 60fps camera;
- Up to 2Km control distance;
- Max altitude over the sea level: 6000 meters;
- Hover accuracy: vertical +/- 10cm and horizontal +/1 meter;
- Max flight speed: 16 meters/sec;
- Phantom 3 total weight: 1280g.
In case you are thinking to buy one of these new DJI quadcopters, the Professional version with 4K camera costs $1259 and the Advanced model costs “only” $999 with free shipping.
Until you get you own quad, watch this DJI Phantom 3 introduction YouTube video.
More about the new Phantom 3 quad copter here
January 2016 – Phantom 3 price dropping
- Phantom 3 Standard – $499
- Phantom 3 Advanced with 2.7K camera – $799
- Phantom 3 4K Wi-Fi – $799
- Phantom 3 Professional $1199