Yesterday, FIMI announced an upcoming VTOL on their official Facebook page, which will be their first fixed-wing drone. The release is scheduled for July 31st.
In a nutshell, a VTOL (Vertical Take-Off and Landing) fixed-wing aircraft is a type of UAV that can take off, hover, and land vertically like a helicopter or a multirotor drone, but also has the ability to transition into forward flight like a traditional fixed-wing airplane. This combination of capabilities allows VTOL fixed-wing aircraft to operate in confined spaces or areas without a conventional runway, making them versatile and useful for various applications.
The FIMI Manta wants to be a cheaper alternative to Jumper XiaKe80 and HEE WING T1-Ranger, which are one of the most popular Y3 VTOLs for hobbyists on a budget. FIMI will release the MANTA VTOL in two package options:
- PNP-FC: 3x motors, 4x servos, propellers, flight controller, ESC, and GPS
- Basic PNP: Just the motors, servos, and propellers
For real-time image transmission and onboard 4K recording, the FIMI Manta can be equipped with the DJI O3 Air Unit or other similar HD digital transmission systems.
FIMI’s first VTOL has a wingspan of 700mm and a max length of 445mm. Loaded with three 21700 type 5000mAh batteries has a take-off weight of 550 grams and a flight time of 85 minutes (at 12m/s).
Pricing and availability
Starting today, the FIMI VTOL can be ordered from Banggood. The PNP (no electronics) version is priced at $145, and the PNP-FC for $225. Both variants will additionally require a radio receiver, FPV system, and batteries. The expected order processing time is after 18 August.
FIMI Manta: Key features
- Lightweight, high-density EPP material
- Compact and portable design quick-detach wings (700mm wingspan)
- Tiltrotor vertical take-off and landing
- Perfectly compatible with ARDUPILOT open-source flight control ecosystems
- 20A 3channel ESC
- Durable metal gear servos and all-metal rocker arms
- Caddx Vista and DJI O3 Air Unit compatible
- Compatible with FIMI G21 Pro 3-axis gimbal camera
- 2004-3000KV motors with 6026 two-blade propellers
- Up to 85minutes of ultra-long battery life (3S1P\4S1P 18650 or 3S1P 21700 baterry bay)