DJI always tease us a few weeks before they officially release a new drone. Considering that DJI has a serious NDA Agreement with those who receive early test units for review, they would not risk leaking details or photos.
The DJI Avata is set to launch in the next few months and would be the Chinese company’s second FPV drone. Unlike other CineWhoop-style drones on the market, which go for the smallest possible size with the lowest possible weight, the DJI Avata looks like it will be a large-sized quadcopter. With a big battery pack and stabilized camera system, the Avata could weigh around 500 grams, 250 grams over the limit for which you can operate drones without much restriction – meaning that you will have to register with the FAA to fly it outdoors legally.
DJI AVATA Leaks and Rumors
Regarding camera performance, at least comparable capabilities to those of the DJI Mini 3 Pro are expected, i.e. 4K filming with 60 frames per second and photos at 48 megapixels. The mechanical gimbal stabilization will be a unique feature in its market segment.
Twitter leaks show that DJI Avata comes in a bundle with a new smaller DJI FPV Goggles and a one-handed motion controller. The community hopes that the AVATA will also be controllable with classic-style two-stick transmitters for more accurate control.
The leaked DJI Avata images we’ve seen so far show a high-capacity 14.76V/2420mAh (35.71Wh) battery that could allow about 20 minutes of flight time.
CineWhoop drones typically come with a GoPro-style mount that can be used with the GoPro 10 or GoPro Bones. The rumored photos of the DJI Avata do not show such mounting options, but there is nothing that a 3D printer could not solve :)
- Immersive flight experience: When you combine Avata with the goggles and motion controller, flight becomes accessible to all. Experience the thrill of total immersion with unrivaled safety and control. Embrace your spontaneity and capture the world around you. Some of us were Born to Fly.
- Agility Meets Toughness: Compact and lightweight, DJI Avata is nimble in tight spaces. Every aspect of its design was made for you to be bold. The built-in propeller guard means that if Avata comes in contact with an object, it can bounce back, stay in the air, and keep flying.
- Portable and Ready for Adventure: Avata adopts a new innovative design with convenience in mind. It is more lightweight, compact, and easy to carry.
- Turtle mode: Should Avata fall on its back, activate Turtle with a few simple taps and watch it spring back into action.
- Downward Obstacle Sensing System: In addition to the built-in propeller guard, Avata features downward binocular vision and ToF infrared sensing for even greater safety. These sensors detect obstacles below and allow Avata to perform low-altitude or indoor flights.
- Motion Controller for next-level piloting: With the DJI Motion Controller, an intuitive flight is in your hands. Squeeze the trigger and bolt forward or turn a corner with the swivel of your wrist. The controls are easy to use and provide a unique flying way. It is also compatible with the DJI FPV V2 controller.
- Breakthrough in FPV Visuals: Equipped with a 1/1.7-inch CMOS sensor, DJI Avata supports 4K ultra-wide-angle recording with an f/2.8 aperture. High-quality imaging performance delivers exceptional visuals that will keep your audience on the edge of their seats.
- Smooth Shooting: Keep your footage stable as you swoop and dive with RockSteady 2.0 and HorizonSteady. These flagship technologies open a world of cinematic possibilities by reducing camera shake and ensuring smooth ultra-HD video.
- Next-generation low-latency digital FPV: Avata features DJI’s flagship O3+ video transmission and 2T2R omnidirectional antennas for unrivaled stability and responsiveness during flight. Enjoy a crisp and smooth real-time view in your goggles, even in environments with interference.
|Takeoff Weight||Approx. 410 g|
|Dimensions (L×W×H)||180×180×80 mm|
|Max Ascent Speed||6 m/s (Normal Mode, Sport Mode)|
|Max Descent Speed||6 m/s (Normal Mode, Sport Mode)|
|Max flight Speed||8 m/s (Normal Mode)
14 m/s (Sport Mode)
27 m/s (Manual Mode)
|Max Hover Time||Approx. 18 mins|
|Max Flight Distance||11.6 km|
|Max Video Transmission Range||10 km (FCC), 2 km (CE), 6 km (SRRC)|
|Max Wind Speed Resistance||10.7 m/s (Level 5)|
|Transmission Power (EIRP)||FCC: < 33 dBm
CE: < 14 dBm
SRRC: < 30 dBm
|Antennas||Dual Antennas, 2T2R|
|Satellite positioning||GPS + Galileo + BeiDou|
|Hovering Accuracy Range||Vertical:
±0.1 m (with Vision Positioning)
±0.5 m (with GNSS Positioning)
±0.3 m (with Vision Positioning)
±1.5 m (with GNSS Positioning)
|External storage||microSD (up to 256 GB)
Recommended microSD Cards
SanDisk Extreme U3 V30 A1 32GB microSDXC
SanDisk Extreme Pro U3 V30 A1 32GB microSDXC
Kingston Canvas Go! Plus U3 V30 A2 64GB microSDXC
Kingston Canvas React Plus U3 V90 A1 64GB microSDXC
Kingston Canvas React Plus U3 V90 A1 128GB microSDXC
Kingston Canvas React Plus U3 V90 A1 256GB microSDXC
Samsung PRO Plus V30 U3 V30 A2 256GB microSDXC
|Goggles compatibility||DJI Goggles 2 and FPV Goggles V2|
|Sensing System||ToF Effective Measurement Height: 10 m
Precise Hovering Range: 0.5-10 m
Vision Sensor Hovering Range: 0.5-20 m
|Intelligent Flight Battery||2420 mAh, 14.76V (4S) Li-ion|
|Image sensor||1/1.7-inch CMOS
Effective Pixels: 48 MP
Equivalent Focal Length: 12.7 mm
Focal Length: 2.34 mm
Focus Mode: FF
Focus Range: 0.6 m to ∞
|ISO Range||100-6400 (Auto)
|Shutter Speed||Video: 1/8000-1/50 s
Photo: 1/8000-1/50 s
|Video Resolution||With DJI Goggles 2:
1080p@50/60/100fpsWith DJI FPV Goggles V2:
|Max Video Bitrate||Max Video Bitrate|
|EIS||Supports RockSteady and HorizonSteady|
|Supports RockSteady and HorizonSteady||Supports Normal Mode, Wide Mode, and Ultra Wide Mode|
|Mechanical Range||Tilt: -95° to 75°|
|Controllable Range||Tilt: -80° to +65°|
|Max Control Speed||Max Control Speed|
|Max Control Speed||Max Control Speed|
|Max Control Speed||Real-time screen correction is unavailable during recording, but can be applied to the footage recorded on the drone.|
I ordered the ‘Avata drone only’ skew as I have the goggles v2 and FPV 2 RC from DJI
The DJI Avata is good if you want a leaf blower, but for freestyling, only DIY FPV drones!
If you live in the USA, with the latest firmware, the DJI Avata works only with your cell phone for remote ID. End of freedom of FPV :(
So this will me mandatory ?
Can the Avata drone fly without a controller?
I don’t like the Avata. It’s toot noisy, too slow, bad flight times, so thanks NO!
Did someone test the more powerful Axisflying AVATA motors?
Avata is a really good FPV drone, but I think it just fell in terms of image quality compared to any CineWhoop with a GoPro.
Avata is a micro SD killer. The memory card slot is in a so wrong place
Dji Avata has manual camera settings like the dji fpv?
I love the Avata but it’s not fit for everyone.
Does the AVATA have No-Fly zones?
DJI Avata Pro-View Combo kit is 1.909,69€ at BG :)))))
Buy the Avata only with a traditional (two-stick) controller. The motion controller is sucks
Can I use my phone like with other DJI drones, or do I need FPV goggles for the AVATA?
In my country, they are selling with one battery and only the motion controller :(
Is there 3D GoPro mount available yet?
Is there a way to get 18 minutes on DJI Avata I only get 8-9minute even flying in no wind conditions
DJI is prepared for all kinds of accidents their AVATA Care Refresh covers accidental damage, including collision, flyaways, and water damage.
PD charger is required for the Avata! Stock charging takes more than 4 hours.
Why are people buying this? There are much cheaper PNP Cinewhoops on the market!
Just did my first flight with DJI Avata. It is next-level fun! Nothing like HGLRC, GEPRC, or BetaFpv CineWhoop. This drone makes me crazy
The DJI Avata flies better than any Cinewhoop I tested. Protek25, FoxWhoop25, Pavo30, Blue Cat C35
What controller should I get for my Avata drone?
Sorry but I’m just a rookie…
The Avata works only with the DJI FPV Controller 2
It is confirmed. Avata is compatible with the older DJI FPV GOGGLES V2
DJI just tweeted, ‘T-minus 1 hour to go ⏳ Who’s excited?’
Avata is a nice try from DJI but the FPV community is not too excited about it.
If AVATA has the same specs as the Mini 3 Pro. Should be sweet!
Who’s thinking of selling its DJI FPV and buying the new AVATA ?
They are different drones, the DJI FPV can carry a GoPro, the Avata not!
Only 97 kph? Not a RaceWhoop…
DJI it’s not a pioneer anymore. AVATA-like CineWhoop drones have been on the market for more than two years…
planned leak for sure!
That’s an awesome drone. Looking forward to your review
Avata will have a remote ID?
Where to get the Avata in the US?
Will be officially revealed only on August 25, 2022. Marketing slogan “Born to Fly”
The new O3 Air Unit will be released also on August 25?
I hope those NDA breakers get that fat fine for breaking the agreement. They are ruining our Christmas!
No load capacity for a GoPro :(
FYI, the expected prices will be:
$1388 – Avata Drone, DJI Goggles 2 & Motion Controller
$1168 – Avata Drone, DJI FPV V2 Goggles (current ones) & Motion Controller
$629 – Avata Drone
$649 – DJI Goggles 2
$759 – DJI Goggles 2 & Motion Controller