With this article I will try to help beginners to choose their own first quadcopter. In order to make this decision you have to assign your budget and your expectations from the first qaudcopter.
I have wanted to fly remote control multi-rotors for a long time but, for some reason (apart from my son’s cheap $15 infrared remote helicopter), I have never gotten a remote control aircraft. The time to make my wish come true has finally come. At the $65 price point (on BangGood with free shipping and extra battery pack!) I couldn’t pass up the Syma 5Xc.
And now, let me describe you how my journey of flying my first quadcopter started!
In my case, before I made a decision witch one to choose, I started reading more about different models of quadcopters on manufacturer’s websites and various blogs and forums. Reading is cheaper than buying more quadcopters that you really don’t need.
After I familiarized myself with most of the terms from multi-rotor world, I started to make a top 3 of best quadcopter for begginers regarding my needs.
Something about my budget limit, first it was $500 (this amount you need if you want to fly a DJI Phantom FC40 with FPV), but I was afraid my wife will read this post so I quickly dropped my budget limit under $150.
Some of the criteria you have to consider before you buy your first quadcopter:
- Budget limit – unfortunately this is the tricky part, and can limit your options;
- Remote control type – dedicated transmitter, FPV transmitter or smartphone (Android or Iphone);
- Ready to Fly or RTF – take attention to this term, because you can have a lot of surprises, some dealers selling quadcopters without battery or transmitter;
- Outdoor flight – only indoor flight can be very boring;
- Flight time – definitely you will need at least one extra battery;
- Radio signal strength – maximum distance that you can remote control your quadcopter;
- On board camera – for aerial photography;
- FPV System – this part is the real fun of flying!;
- Onboard GPS – for return home and safe landing.
Best first Quadcopter
If you want a fairly inexpensive quadcopter with onboard HD Camera, Syma X5C is a great product to consider. It’s camera is better quality than the other cheap quadcopters. Unfortunately the camera only records, it’s not possible to stream video to fly FPV.
In my next article I will write more about the Syma X5C RC Quadcopter and after I will get it, I will make a full review of this aircraft.
For the beginners I recommend to choose something cheap and easy to fly, and not jump from the start to a DJI phantom 2 vision+. Why? Because they will crash it or they will lose the control and the aircraft will fly away before they learn to fly it safety.
And don’t forget: always buy some extra props and batteries! Trust me, you will need both of them, all the new pilots need them after their first flights.