The SMRC S16 was announced in two versions. While the cheaper edition with Optical Flow positioning has about 100 meters control range, the more versatile GPS enabled model has up to 300 flight range. For the extra 21 bucks, the GPS edition also brings a fail-safe auto return to home feature. Both variants have around 16 minutes of flight time, barometric altitude hold, and onboard 4K camera.
As you can see in the image below, the SMRC S16 is packed with a nice entry-level transmitter with an expandable phone holder and foldable antennas. On the front panel, besides the usual control sticks, you have 8 control buttons (5 trim buttons, headless mode, take-off, and landing). While the left shoulder button allows toggling between different flight speed rates, the right one enables 360-degree flip and rolls mode.
MRC S16 drone features
- Affordable learn-to-fly drone;
- On-board 4K camera allows to capture stunning pictures and videos from the sky;
- Electronic image stabilization (EIS) for smooth videos;
- 6-axis gyro stabilization;
- Smart follow me mode (its camera recognize human figure);
- Altitude hold mode function provides stable hovering;
- GPS auto positioning system or Optical Flow Positioning;
- Fail-safe RTH on low battery or out of RC signal (only GPS version!);
- One key to return function makes it easy to find the way home;
- LED lights for more spectacular night flights;
- About 16 minutes of flight time.
S16 Optical Flow version vs S16 GPS edition specs comparison
|S16 Optical Flow||S16 GPS|
|Airborne time||16 minutes||16 minutes|
|Control range||100 meters||300 meters|
|FPV range||100 meters||100~300 meters|
|Size||31 x 31 x 6cm||31 x 31 x 6cm|
|Weight||132 grams||132 grams|
Included accessories with the SMRC S16 quadcopter
- Remote control w/ expandable phone holder;
- Flight battery (capacity depending on which version you choose);
- USB Charging Cable;
- 2 pairs of spare propellers;
- 1 set of blade protectors
- Drone manual.