Autel Robotics X-Star – DJI Phantom’s fear
I’m probably the only one who thinks that this X-Star Premium from Autel Robotics looks like a rebranded Phantom quadcopter. In my opinion it has very similar features and specs with the PH3 4K model.
For sure, adding a small status LCD screen to the X-Star’s transmitter was a great idea. The dedicated take-off/land button is another useful feature of the remote controller.
In order to allow very smooth and vibration free aerial footage, the 4K camera is mounted on a 3-axis gimbal. The manufacturer claims that the gimbal and the camera are easily removable for replacement or future upgrades.
The camera allows to record videos with Ultra HD 4K@30 fps, 1080p@120fps and 720p@240fps resolutions.
Being powered by a high capacity 4900mAh (4s – 14.8v) battery the advertised flight time is about 25 minutes, which is pretty nice I think.
In order to cover different budgets, Autel Robotics announced this quadcopter in two versions:
- X-Star “Basic” – with 0.6 miles control range and 16GB memory card;
- X-Star Premium – with 1.2 miles flight range, 64GB micro SD and deluxe carrying case.
Compared to the Phantom 3 Advanced which I recently reviewed the Autel Robotics X-Star Premium has slightly shorter flight range. Anyway, probably most of us will never have the courage to fly his quad at bigger distance than 2 km (1.2 miles).
Those who are interested in this quad, B&H Photo just announced the “Premium” edition for $899 and the “Basic” edition for $699. It looks like both versions will be available in white and intense orange colors.
Autel Robotics X-Star Premium Highlights
- Easy-to-fly quadcopter;
- Intuitive transmitter with status LCD screen;
- One button takeoff/land;
- Ultra HD 4K camera (FOV 108º);
- Removable 3-axis gimbal;
- HD video downlink;
- GPS and GLONASS positioning system;
- Powerful Starlink APP (iOS and Android);
- Smart-Flight modes (“follow”, “orbit” and “waypoints);
- Failsafe return to home.
Official promo video of the X-Star Premium quad-copter
X-Star Premium specs
- Max. take-off weight: 1.6Kg;
- Horizontal hover precision: ±2 meters;
- Vertical hover precision: ±1 meter;
- Max. vertical flight speed: ascent: 6 m/s and descent: 3 m/s;
- Max. horizontal flight speed: 16 m/s;
- Standard flight modes: GPS, ATTI and IOC;
- Photo resolution: 12MP;
- Video resolution: 4K@30, 2.7K@60, 1080p@120 and 720p@240;
- 14.8V 4900 mAh flight battery;
- Up to 25 minutes flight time;
- Max. control and FPV distance: up to 2km;
Autel Robotics X-Star Premium package includes
- Aircraft with 3-axis gimbal and 4K (Ultra HD) camera;
- Transmitter with built-in HD video downlink;
- Intelligent flight battery (4s, 4900mAh);
- Battery charger;
- 64GB micro SD memory card;
- 1 set of spare propellers
- Deluxe carrying Case;
- Autel Robotics X-Star quick guide.
Image credits to Autel Robotics