Table of Contents
The DJI Action 3 is a fantastic camera that follows its grandfather’s original Osmo Action design. DJI probably realised that the ‘innovative’ modular design of the Action 2 was more a failure than a success.
The new Osmo Action 3 is palm-sized and weighs just 145 grams. It includes mounting clips on its bottom so you can put it in tight spaces to get interesting angles. The 155° super-wide lens and 1/1.7-inch image sensor capture the world in 4K@120fps. It has front and rear touchscreens for live-view. Like the recent DJI Mini 3 Pro, the Osmo Action 3 also has a vertical mode for TikTokers.
DJI claims that the ‘Extreme’ 1770mAh battery can be charged up to 80% in just 18 minutes. A fully charged pack allows the camera to record up to 160 minutes (Tested in a 25° C/77° F laboratory environment while recording 1080p/30fps video with EIS disabled and the screens off).
The third-generation DJI OA is waterproof to a depth of around 52 feet (16 meters) without additional housing. It can be used in extreme cold, such as -20° C (-4° F).
- New Quick-Release Design: Quick Switch to Vertical Shooting;
- Dual live-view touchscreens: Easy operation from every perspective;
- More durable: Reliable in -20° C (-4° F) Low Temperatures with 150-min Extended Battery Life. Up to 16m waterproof;
- 4K@120fps video recording with up to 130 Mbps;
- Opportunities are wide open: A Super-Wide 155° FOV makes every scene more appealing, immersive, and memorable;
- Multiple EIS Modes: A Truly Comprehensive Stabilization System;
- Colour Temperature Calibration: Experience true-to-life colours;
- Fast Charging: In just 18 minutes, it can be powered up to 80%;
- Ultra-long operation time: Up to 160minutes of battery life;
- Lighter than its primary competitor: Only 145 grams!
Osmo Action 3 stabilization modes
- RockSteady 3.0: A new generation of intelligent stabilization algorithm fuels the latest version of RockSteady EIS, which can effectively eliminate camera shake in all directions. It supports use while recording at up to 4K/120fps, providing a stable and immersive first-person perspective;
- HorizonSteady: This innovative stabilization feature helps to eliminate camera shake in all directions and even horizontally corrects tilt at any angle. That means footage can remain horizontally level, even through heavy bumps and 360° rotations. In addition, you can activate HorizonBalancing, which corrects the tilt horizontally within ±45° and supports recording stable 4K/60fps videos;
- HorizonBalancing: It keeps your 4K footage level when the roll axis is tiled by up to +/- 45 degrees.
|Image sensor||12MP 1/1.7-inch CMOS|
Focus Range: 0.3 m to ∞
|ISO range||Photo: 100-12800
|Video resolutions||4K (4:3): 4096×3072@24/25/30/48/50/60fps
4K (16:9): 3840×2160@100/120fps
4K (16:9): 3840×2160@24/25/30/48/50/60fps
2.7K (4:3): 2688×2016@24/25/30/48/50/60fps
2.7K (16:9): 2688×1512@100/120fps
2.7K (16:9): 2688×1512@24/25/30/48/50/60fps
1080p (16:9): 1920×1080@100/120/200/240fps
1080p (16:9): 1920×1080@24/25/30/48/50/60fps
|Slomotion resolutions||4K: 4x (120fps)
2.7K: 4x (120fps)
1080p: 8x (240fps), 4x (120fps)
|Max Photo Resolution||4000×3000|
|Digital Zoom||Photo: 4x
Video: 2x (> 60fps), 3x (≤ 60fps, HorizonSteady On), 4x (≤ 60fps, HorizonSteady Off)
Slow Motion/Timelapse: Not available
|Max video bitrate||130 Mbps|
|Connectivity||Wifi: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Bluetooth: BLE 5.0
|Waterproof||up to 16 meters without a dedicated case|
|Touchscreens||Front Screen: 1.4-inch 326 ppi 320×320
Rear Screen: 2.25-inch 326 ppi 360×640
|Working time||160 mins (in certain conditions!)|
Price, availability and options
The DJI Action 3 was announced in September 2022 with an RRP of $329 ($50 cheaper than the original OA in 2019). You can also opt for the ‘Adventure Combo pack‘ that includes two extra batteries, a battery case, a 1.5m extension rod, and many more for long-term outdoor shooting and dynamic angles – all these goodies for additional 110 bucks.