RunCam 3 – worth to buy alternative for the GoPro Session 5?
When the RunCam 3 was rumored I had a mixed filing regarding this camera. I don’t know if it was a smart movement from the manufacturer to announce in 2017 a camera without 4K capability.
I contacted RC to request a free sample in order to review the RunCam 3 camera. Frankly they was not too friendly :(. Firstly they didn’t even answered me and later offered me only a $12 discount coupon. It seems they want to give up with the honest reviewers and move to other kind of advertising.
As I previously mentioned, the RC3 camera offers only 1080P@60fps, practically it has about same video capabilities as its predecessor (read here my review of RunCam 2 camera).
In order to protect the camera’s lens during crashes, in front of the lens there is a corning gorilla protection glass. This can be replaced and one pair costs $9.99.
Those who are interested in using the RunCam 3 camera during sports activities, there are available mounting frames and waterproof cases.
RunCam 3 features and specs
- Compact and lightweight design (only 66g);
- Corning Gorilla glass 3 lens protector;
- 2MP image resolution;
- 1080p@60fps, 1080p@30fps, 720p@120fps and 720p@60fps video resolutions;
- High sensitivity dual microphone;
- FPV out;
- Integrated WiFI module;
- Smartphone APP control;
- Built-in 960mAh （allows 1.5h @1080P 30fps / 1h @1080P 60fps）;
- Available mounting accessories and waterproof case.
On top of the camera you can find a big power button and the microphone. On right side of the RunCam 3, behind a small flap, is located the micro SD slot witch supports up to 64GB memory cards.
Lately, RunCam’s biggest competitor announced their own GoPro Session alike camera. Unlike RunCam 3, Foxeer Box 4K features UHD video resolution and 1080p@120FPS.
RunCam 3 review including sample video
Thanks to RCModelReviews for this nice review.
- Affordable alternative for the Session 5;
- Compact form-factor, suitable for mini racers;
- Gorilla-glass lens protector (replaceable);
- WDR works really great;
- About 1 hour recording time;
- FPV out via micro USB;
- Available waterproofing case.
- Battery is integrated (not easily swappable);
- No 4K resolution.