RunCam 3 – worth to buy alternative for the GoPro Session 5?
When the RunCam 3 was rumored I had a mixed filing regarding this camera. I don’t know if it was a smart movement from the manufacturer to announce in 2017 a camera without 4K capability.
I contacted RC to request a free sample in order to review the RunCam 3 camera. Frankly they was not too friendly :(. Firstly they didn’t even answered me and later offered me only a $12 discount coupon. It seems they want to give up with the honest reviewers and move to other kind of advertising.
As I previously mentioned, the RC3 camera offers only 1080P@60fps, practically it has about same video capabilities as its predecessor (read here my review of RunCam 2 camera).
In order to protect the camera’s lens during crashes, in front of the lens there is a corning gorilla protection glass. This can be replaced and one pair costs $9.99.
Those who are interested in using the RunCam 3 camera during sports activities, there are available mounting frames and waterproof cases.
RunCam 3 features and specs
- Compact and lightweight design (only 66g);
- Corning Gorilla glass 3 lens protector;
- 2MP image resolution;
- 1080p@60fps, 1080p@30fps, 720p@120fps and 720p@60fps video resolutions;
- High sensitivity dual microphone;
- FPV out;
- Integrated WiFI module;
- Smartphone APP control;
- Built-in 960mAh （allows 1.5h @1080P 30fps / 1h @1080P 60fps）;
- Available mounting accessories and waterproof case.
On top of the camera you can find a big power button and the microphone. On right side of the RunCam 3, behind a small flap, is located the micro SD slot witch supports up to 64GB memory cards.
Lately, RunCam’s biggest competitor announced their own GoPro Session alike camera. Unlike RunCam 3, Foxeer Box 4K features UHD video resolution and 1080p@120FPS.
RunCam 3 review including sample video
Thanks to RCModelReviews for this nice review.
- Affordable alternative for the Session 5;
- Compact form-factor, suitable for mini racers;
- Gorilla-glass lens protector (replaceable);
- WDR works really great;
- About 1 hour recording time;
- FPV out via micro USB;
- Available waterproofing case.
- Battery is integrated (not easily swappable);
- No 4K resolution.
I own the RunCam 3 camera for about 2 months, here are my pros and cons:
– Nice price;
– Great image quality;
– Selectable WDR function
– Similar form factor with the GoPro session;
– Sensitive dual microphones;
– Can be powered from 3S and 4S Li-Po.
– No LCD display;
– Main power button unprotected from drone crashes;
– Gets pretty hot with WDR ON.
I’m using the RC3 cam on my drones as well on bike :)
They stoled the patent!!! RunCam 3 become illegal in United States!!!!
I have one coming and would like to mount it on my quad gimbal with AV out to onboard transmitter and last powering via quad battery link via 5v BEC or whatever needed. Will this be possible?
In opinion will work. I made the same think with RC2 and it was just fine. The 5v bec will protect the camera from over voltage (2s Li-Po and UP)
What about powering it via charging cable? Can you still run it?
Yes, you can power the RunCam 3 camera via USB cable.