Few weeks ago, on FiMI’s website, a new banner appeared with the text “Totally Evolved – 10th December 2018“. It was the first clue that a new Xiaomi FiMI drone will be announced soon. Unlike its predecessors, the new Xiaomi Fimi X8 SE features foldable design. Let’s have a closer look on the first rumors about the Fimi X8 drone!
While the recently released FiMI A3 features only 1080P camera, the Fimi X8 SE will have 4K camera. Furthermore, it has 3-axis gimbal instead of only 2-axis one. It seems that FiMI wants to offer a real alternative for DJI’s Mavic series. But, IMHO, without an obstacle avoidance system, this is a lost case no matter how friendly priced will be.
The Fimi X8 SE comes with lots of fail-safe features. In addition to the usual auto RTH, on low battery it has wind warning and auto-hover on no fly-zones.
Fimi X8 SE drone features & specs
- Ultra portable design with foldable arms;
- Expandable remote controller;
- Double positioning system (GPS & GLONASS);
- Precise vision positioning system;
- Smart track and smart light;
- Fail-safe return to home (Low battery & Signal loss);
- Wind warning;
- 4K camera with 1/2.3″ CMOS image sensor;
- 12MP photo resolution (JPG & JPG+DNG);
- UHD video recording (3840×2160@30fps);
- Panorama and Motion-lapse modes;
- Up to 100Mbps video bit-rate;
- 3-axis mechanical gimbal;
- Up to 5KM control range;
- Around 33 minutes flight time.
FiMI X8 SE flight time
Powered by a 3s/4500mAh battery, the FiMI X8SE quadcopter has an impressive of 33 minutes flight time. I would be curious to test if this time is actual flying time or only hovering time.
Camera sample video (by FiMI)
Price & Availability
On FiMI website, the X8SE is listed for $399, which is the same price as the Hubsan Zino is advertised. This price includes remote controller, flight battery, 3 pairs of propellers, charger and user manual. At Banggood, it is promoted for $499, but unfortunately the status is “In stock alert“.